Content about 2019 novel coronavirus disease. Links to rolling updates.
To assist health workers and researchers working under challenging conditions to bring this outbreak to a close, The Lancet has created a Coronavirus Resource Centre. This resource brings together new 2019 novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) content from across The Lancet journals as it is published. All of The Lancet COVID-19 content is free to access.
This page collects all BMJ coverage of the coronavirus outbreak from across the BMJ’s journals and learning resources. All articles and resources are freely available.
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control:
Information from Public Health Agency of Sweden:
The New England Journal of Medicine:
”The world does not fund any organization to manage the broad set of coordinated activities required in an epidemic.” Wrote Bill Gates in an article in The New England Journal of Medicine April 9, 2015, under the headline: The Next Epidemic – Lessons from Ebola.
He also stresses that “Strengthening health care systems not only improves our ability to deal with epidemics, but it also promotes health more broadly.”
In the article he gives following recommendations for preparing for future epidemics:
“The world needs to build a warning and response system for outbreaks. This system should
- be coordinated by a global institution that is given enough authority and funding to be effective,
- enable fast decision making at a global level,
- expand investment in research and development and clarify regulatory pathways for developing new tools and approaches,
- improve early warning and detection systems, including scalable everyday systems that can be expanded during an epidemic,
- involve a reserve corps of trained personnel and volunteers,
- strengthen health systems in low- and middle-income countries, and
- incorporate preparedness exercises to identify the ways in which the response systems need to improve”